Friday, June 13, 2008

Bucks and Bees

I earned some money this week. Someone finally took me up on the offer to clean their house, so I spent the last two days vacuuming, dusting, disinfecting, cleaning, mopping, sweeping, mowing, edging, planting, and sweeping some more. It was definitely a workout, but she said I totally earned the check. Now I'm not so sure that I charge enough...haha.

I got home this afternoon and decided to clean some more (once I get in the "mode" its hard to just sit around and be lazy when the house is dirty). I started cleaning our windows, and when I got to the huge sliding glass door in our living room, I decided I needed a bucket of soapy water and a squeegee. As soon as I was ready and started to head outside, I noticed a SWARM of bees in the corner of our patio...we've called in 4 times since we moved here to get rid of their HIVE that keeps growing between the top of the people below us' patio and the bottom of ours. So, I called maintenance, and to no avail. They closed the office not 2 minutes before I called. I then decided I would take care of this myself....keep reading...

I went to the kitchen and got an empty soda can, cut the top off with some super scissors, grabbed a can of WD-40 and sprayed until the can was about 1/2 full (or empty, whichever you prefer). Then, I went outside (well, I changed into pants, tennis shoes, and a long sleeved shirt first... just in case) and ever-so-carefully poured the contents of the Can of Death on the corner of the patio where their entrance was WHILE spraying the legit WD-40 on the bees swarming around the entrance.

Then I ran inside.


I waited about 5 minutes (it only takes about 10 seconds for them to die if they get any WD-40 on them, but I wanted to be careful) and then I ventured back onto my patio. Only 4 bees left. HAH! But it wasn't good enough. So, I continued my original task, to clean the sliding glass doors. I grabbed my bucket, my rag, and the squeegee, went outside and cleaned the glass. When I was finished, I dumped the hot soapy water on the bee hive entrance just to prove a point. I suppose the two that were left when I went back inside decided to separate...one of them flew off into the "woods" behind our apartment, while the other one flew RIGHT into the sparkling clean sliding glass doors right in front of me. I had to laugh, cuz it made a little thud (and cuz I knew he couldn't REALLY get me) and both of the dogs cocked their heads when it hit.

That'll show those bees! We'll see if any of them are back tomorrow... I have 3 more cans of WD-40, so they'd better watch out...

[picture from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/04/08/eabees108.xml]

No comments:

Post a Comment